Honey Whole Wheat Dandelion Rhubarb Muffins
Dandelion and Rhubarb is a good combination for mid spring baking. You will want to harvest the dandelions in the morning, before they begin to turn to fluff. And then you will want to separate the flowers fairly quickly, before they start to get wilty. So this is something you will need to bake in the morning or early afternoon. Ok, you guys know I’m not one for long stories with my recipes, so here it is.
- 1 cup dandelion petals (20-25 flowers, just the yellow petals, remove the green parts)
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb, dusted with 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375. Grease or line muffin tin (makes 12 muffins).
- Combine flour, wheat flour, baking powder, salt, and dandelion petals.
- In separate bowl, beat egg. Stir in milk, honey, oil, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir just to moisten.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3-3/4 full.
- Bake 18-22 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from tin.
Want to learn more about foraging in the Great Lakes Area? Check out our upcoming camps and classes here.